Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Week 23: Moving Inside and Out

First I would like to mention our new layout. I felt that it was only fitting to make the page pink in anticipation for our little girl. With that having been said I feel the need to emphasize that I have no intention of forcibly making my child wear pink, nor do I have any intention of overly emphasizing traditional feminine roles. Now all caveats aside...on to my baby!!!

Everyday it brings me more and more joy as I feel her move. Her movements are becoming far more frequent and it is always really exciting. Alex has begun to feel her move as well which is a huge relief for both of us. I know that it has been difficult for him to feel any sense of bonding with her because she hasn't been moving in a way that he could feel her. When she did for the first time the sheer joy that lit up his face was like a kid at Christmas who had just opened that coveted gift that he was sure he wasn't going to get. I was so happy to see him so happy and pleased that there was finally a sense of bonding for him.

I had my doctor's appointment yesterday and everything seems to be going well. I am still gaining weight more quickly than I probably should but my doctor said that as long as I keep exercising and avoiding sugar that I should be fine. The avoidance of sugar--thankfully hasn't been too difficult because overall sweets are currently the least appealing of all foods to me. Also the reason for this avoidance is because of the high risk of gestational diabetes during pregnancy. I have a sugar test next month to determine whether or not this is something that they need to be concerned about. They are also going to do an blood count to check my iron. This concerns me a bit--even though I know that the treatment for low iron will just be iron supplements, I have had a tendency towards lower iron. With little Michaela sucking away all of my iron so that she can form strong muscles, there is a good chance that my iron will be low. While the obvious solution would be to consume more red meat--it is difficult to do so when the meat has to be prepared medium well to well done. Being married to a carnivorous rare meat eater, I have come to enjoy a bit of blood in my meat which hasn't been possible and therefore has led to a lack of desire for red meat.

All of the joys of the second trimester have also been in full force. Notably the increased energy and decreased illness. The heartburn however, is something that I don't see departing in the near future. Even in my efforts to avoid foods that have the potential to cause that burn it seems that something always causes it. Additionally, sleeping has become increasingly more difficult. As I grow larger I am finding it more and more difficult to find comfortable sleeping positions. All of the recommended pillow positions have become more of a hassle than help and also prevent me and my hubby from cuddling. By the end of the day when I am completely worn out, the desire for sleep is so overwhelming that the inability to do so is devastating.

Now that last line was probably a bit confusing...seeing as how I said the fatigue had improved and yet at the end of the day I am so fatigued that I can barely reach the bed. You see this is where the moving "out" part comes into play. As I have mentioned in a few of my previous posts we have been trying to buy a house. Well...we're moving...but not to the house. In a long scenario of utter frustration our lending company decided to pull our loan 2 days before closing and so we are off to another apartment. Initially I was quite discouraged about this situation and discontented by the fact that we wouldn't have a yard or space to raise our child, but then we found the most beautiful of all (reasonably priced) apartments in the St. Louis area. I am pleased with our new residence which boasts 300 sq. feet more than the house we were going to buy. Not to mention that it is a first floor apartment meaning--NO STAIRS and has been fully updated. The packing and moving process however has been exhausting. I am finding it difficult to comprehend just how we acquired so much stuff. It seems like the more we pack, the more we find. Not to mention how completely useless I feel and incapable because I can pack a box, but then I can't move it!!! Little Kayla and I are exhausted but once we finish with the move we can start decorating her room!!!

No comments: