Thursday, January 18, 2007

Week 24: Worn Out

We have finally finished the move. I say that in an exasperated tone as if 3 days to completely move and unpack is a long time. However these 3 days of 6am starts and 2 am finishes have been brutal. All of the energy that had seemed to arrive with the second trimester is quickly fading, not to mention that I have been battling some sort of illness for the past 2 weeks. Unlike anything I've ever experienced before, each day it decides whether or not it wants to manifest itself and if so which body system it wants to attack. Last week I had 2 days of no voice several other days of stomach issues and a stuffed up head. What is unique is that the days are not consecutive. For example Thursday I had no voice and a painful throat, Friday was stomach issues, Saturday was congestion and head issues but each day the symptoms were completely separate from any of the ones on the other days. Anyway, as a result of all of this my body is exhausted. The long days of moving and the illness is completely unbearable.

On the plus side of things the new place is absolutely fantastic. There are already several items in Michaela's closet and we will begin decorating her room this weekend when we go buy furniture. I can't wait. She moves a lot, but not enough to keep me up at night, as a matter of fact, I haven't been waking nearly as often as before or as I probably expected. It is as if my desire for sleep is more persistent than my desire to relieve my bladder of the pressure. What has become an issue in the past few days though is pain in my hips. Trying to be the good pregnant woman and sleep only on my sides (it has to be sides (plural) because trying to limit my position to left side alone is practically impossible) has led to severe pain in my hips and lower back. Everyone has recommended using the pillow between the legs but that is quite uncomfortable. Also not being able to cuddle with Alex as much has been quite frustrating as well. Everyday I am finding more and more articles of clothing that don't fit or fit just a little too snugly.

The nesting has definitely begun to set in as well. Part of this may be associated with having a fantastic new apartment that I don't want to dirty however, after living there for only 4 days I have already vacuumed 3 times and it drives me crazy to have even one dish in the sink. I can't leave the bedroom with the bed unmade and just the thought of the remote left on the coffee table rather than tucked neatly in the drawer where it belongs is absolutely maddening. Therefore, my current inability to do laundry (our washer is broken) is driving me crazy. Also there are 2 boxes that are yet to be unpacked, both of them containing shoes because we still need to buy the shoe holders (I will be buying them today!) The good thing about all of this though is that Alex seems to be catching my cleaning crazies as well--although at a much lesser degree. He has been diligent about at least putting his clothes in the hamper rather than on the floor and clearing his dishes after dinner. He has also been a huge help with me coping with my recent illness. He was kind enough to run me a nice warm bath last night which I was longing for to soothe my aching body. It was very nice to enjoy the warm water but apparently my body was rejecting all of the heat and I hadn't considered all of the cautionary notes about warm baths and hot tubs, etc. Quickly the bliss of the bath became a bubbly nightmare. My head started spinning and my heart throbbing in my head. Dizzily I stood up and clutched the side of the tub as I started to black out and then proceeded to throw up over and over again. I still feel miserable and can't wait until I can go home and go back to bed especially since today all of the symptoms of whatever this bug is I'm fighting have decided to manifest themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try when sleeping on your side to keep lower leg straighter & upper leg more bent, & Closer to your baby. That worked for me, but in all honesty, you have to find what works for you. I hated using a pillow !! Know you are loved & yes, this ,too, shall pass. Love Grams