Monday, March 25, 2013

"...and that's the story of how she slayed the evil sugar monster"

Four weeks ago, I sat at my dining room table, meticulously writing out a 2 week meal plan and shopping list.  I was nervous and fearful, but determined.  It was the first day of my 21-Day Sugar Detox (21DSD).  As I sat there, assessing which level of the plan I thought I should start at, I said to myself, "I like sweets but I'm not addicted to sugar.  This shouldn't be that hard."

Day 1, I was excited.  I had a clear plan of everything I was going to eat that day, but I was irritable.  I was less than 24 hours in and I needed some sugar!  "What is this? I eat healthy!" I thought.  Or at least I used to.  It became glaringly apparent that my diet had been suffering miserably and my cupcake hobby had translated into a full fledged sugar addiction.  The next 4 days were HELL.  I know that sounds extreme, but I fully imagine this being just like withdrawals from a chemical substance.  I was grumpy, angry and ready to kill someone for just a little taste of something sweet.  I was exhausted.  By 7:30 each evening I was completely worn out.  By 8:30 I was typically passed out on the couch.  I couldn't imagine entertaining the idea of a workout.  Every ounce of energy was used simply to pull myself out of bed and actually put some pants on.  I did drop 8 lbs in those first 4 days and I was flabbergasted. 

On day 5, it was like I was a whole new person.  All of a sudden, I could get out of bed without feeling like I need a fork lift, I actually attempted a workout of moderate intensity, and I was feeling positive, refreshed and excited.  This would be the pervasive mentality for the rest of the 21 days. 

I write this, not to brag about my success, but to hopefully answer many of the questions that I've received about the process.   So, here it is:

I did not eat ANY sugar for 21 days.  This includes fruit and even Shakeology (which was probably the hardest part).  While the program does allow for 1 green banana or 1 green apple per day, I very rarely indulged.  This was intentional.  I know that I struggle tremendously with self restraint, especially when it comes to food.  I am one of those people that can't just eat one cookie, but wind up eating half of the batch.  My fear was that if I had a taste of anything sweet, even an under ripe banana, that it would completely throw me off course.  So, what did you eat?!

I ate meat and veggies.  I ate A LOT of eggs and healthy fats.  I ate delicious meals like Greek Style Meatballs, Zucchini "Fettuccine" with meat sauce, smoked salmon and curried cauliflower "rice."  I ate a ton, but I never felt weighed down or bloated--this was the best part!  At the end of week 1 I had lost 10 lbs and was mostly over my sugar cravings.  This is not to say that I didn't crave fruit or occasionally sit across the table from my husband eating a cookie and contemplate how I could drive my fork through his temple to snag a bite...but then again, that might not have been solely about the cookie...

Throughout the process, I realized that there is sugar in EVERYTHING!  I kind of love salsa, and it's practically impossible to find a jar that is lacking sugar.  Even my super high quality favorite organic salsa has the sweet stuff in it (granted it's organic cane sugar, but sugar nonetheless) Since I had recently stocked up on it, I surrendered to no salsa for 21 days.  I created tests for myself throughout the process.  I wasn't going to force my family to detox with me, but it did happen to some extent.  They still enjoyed fruit, and occasional sweet snacks.  I didn't limit their condiments that all contain sugar.  I still baked Easy Bake treats with my little bakers.  I attended a work event with a buffet full of carbs and sugar seasoned meats and huge cakes.  I stood by while all of my friends enjoyed adult beverages, and fought the overwhelming urge to indulge myself.  I attended events at church where there were huge platters of soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies.  I went to an event at my daughter's school where there were towers of pizza and tables full of cookies, cupcakes and other baked goods.  And to my own surprise and triumph, I never once indulged!  Even when my husband lost his job, my daughters were soul snatched and replaced with demon children, my family was suffering tremendous medical issues and all I wanted was a single glass of wine at the end of the day to take the edge off--I didn't. 

Then, something beautiful happened.  I sat one evening at my dinner table, while my family were enjoying mint flavored Klondike bars and I felt completely content NOT to have one.  I sat next to my husband in the car as he and the little one shared a candy bar, and not only did I not want it, I was repulsed by the smell!  As I got closer to the end, it actually started to get more difficult.  Particularly days 19-21.  I started to rationalize to myself.  "You've practically made it, what is one little bite of fruit?"  I had to fight the urge over and over again. 

This morning I was finished with the detox.  I could eat whatever  I wanted.  I had a beautiful fresh pineapple sitting on my counter, beckoning me.  Without missing a beat, I started cutting it up.  As soon as the first morsel was loosed, I popped in in my mouth and instead of the euphoria that I expected, I felt guilt, and a little anxiety.  As bizarre as this sounds, that felt like a win to me.  I felt like I've worked so hard to cleanse my body that I certainly don't want to muck it up again.  Not that fruit is the same as refined sugar, but I definitely want to tread lightly.  I've realized that I don't need it or even want it as much as I thought I did.

So, where do I go from here?  I will gradually re-add some fruit and Shakeology back into my diet.  I won't be resuming my regular baking and I'll continue to keep grains and dairy out of my diet (this is not exclusively because of the 21DSD, but a personal decision I was trying  to make for a few months).  I will move forward, no longer a slave to my sweets craving, but with a balanced and clearer perspective of my diet. 

In summary, I absolutely would recommend this program to anyone!  There are plenty of modifications to match any lifestyle (pregnant, athlete, etc.) and a tremendous knowledge of the effect of sugar on the body.  I would also gladly answer any questions about my process.  For the record, I have no association with the company, get no kickback and ultimately have no incentive for encouraging you to attempt it other that helping my friends take one more step towards being healthy. 

No comments: