Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sure, I can do that too!

I have this way of looking at myself as an entity resembling Wonder Woman, and honestly believe that I am capable of anything. The whole idea of "Never underestimate your abilities" has never been an issue for me, quite the contrary actually. This is why I frequently lose many hours of sleep working into the night. There are certain times when this is especially prevalent like in the days before Christmas when I'm feverishly trying to complete the extravagant homemade gifts I've come up with, and on Tuesdays. What is so special about Tuesday you might ask?? It's Biggest Loser Day!!

It's only normal that my obsessive infatuation with nutrition and fitness would make me a die hard Biggest Loser fan! Among my closes friends we have a Tuesday tradition of watching the show together, but me being the ever eager entertainer and not wanting my children's bed time to be compromised, graciously opened up my home for the weekly event. The issue...I'm obsessive and a perfectionist. I feel the compulsion to have a spotless home, and a full (healthy) dinner spread for all of my guests--I mean come on we can't be scarfing down the pizza while Bob and Jillian are laying the smack down! The problem here is that I always seem to forget where Tuesday falls in the week and it's here before I have time to prepare for it, so my Tuesday consists of frantically cleaning and cooking while trying to balance my toddlers' multiple extracurriculars and fit in an unnatural amount of cardio. In case you haven't cued into it by now, I'm crazy. Now not the straight jacket rocking in the corner kinda crazy but the kind that's a little overly obsessive, outside of the normal range.

So, I have this compulsion to burn an extra 1000 calories or so on days that I watch The Biggest Loser. So the workouts are usually 2 or 3 or RIDICULOUS, because if I don't feel like I've burned enough calories in that day I find myself feeling guilty the whole time I'm watching the show. I feel like I'm being lazy for taking 2 hours out of my day to watch a show about fitness and weight loss, despite the fact that I've worked out for at least an hour, usually more like 2.

The problem here is that I can't say no. I know people say that all the time, "I don't know how to say no to anyone and that's why I always put myself last," but that is not what I'm saying. I don't know how to say no to ME. Since I have this exaggerated concept of my ability to add hours to the day so that I might accomplish all of the tasks that I've promised myself I'd complete, I always feel like I can add more to my schedule--and so presents the problem, yet there is nothing that I'm willing to sacrifice. The other problem is that when I get an idea to do something, I give it EVERYTHING. So, I re-embraced my blog, and now I have so many topics that I want to write about that I'd like to be posting several times each day, but I've committed myself to no more than one post per day and finding the time to create something actually worthy of a read is in and of itself a challenge at once a day let alone multiple, but I will try to refrain. I will try to keep it at one, actually doing it, and not overdoing it. And, I hope you'll enjoy, or tell me how much you hate me even, I just hope you'll keep reading. :)

No comments: